Memories of Baseball Camp: Success with the New York Baseball Academy

Every summer, players of all ages from around the Greater New City Metropolitan area come together to learn the game of baseball from the best. Led by an instructional team consisting of former major leaguers, collegiate coaches, and other baseball experts, the New York Baseball Academy at Hofstra is undoubtedly a summer mainstay of youth baseball instruction.

Sam Brinster is one of the hundreds of local youth that have seen improvement in their game after attending New York Baseball Academy at Hofstra. This past summer was Sam’s 8th year at NYBA, and, according to his father Gary, he has shown astounding improvement year after year.

“Sam has become a fine baseball player. I love watching him play, and naturally, I am very proud of him. I particularly like watching him in the batting cages before each high school game. Especially when I see him giving hitting tips to his fellow teammates. I believe that Sam’s ability and willingness to help his teammates comes from what he has learned from the positive spirit at the NYBA.”

Even though Sam is now 16 years old and has aged out of NYBA, his baseball camp days will surely live on through his continued improvement on the field throughout his play in high school. Reminiscent of past summers, his father looks back on the last eight years with delight.

“On a personal note, I really miss Sam’s camp years. I used to leave work early on Fridays to come watch Sam play, always hoping he was in the ‘World Series’.”

“During those times that I was waiting to see Sam play, I would often lay on the grass, relax, and listen to the sounds of children of all ages having fun playing baseball. If God assigned me the job to design heaven, it would be those Friday afternoons, and I wouldn’t change a thing.”

Sam’s experience with baseball camp at the New York Baseball Academy is like that of many campers every summer: overwhelmingly positive and incredibly helpful to both their athletic and personal development. Not only do they learn skills that will be helpful in game situations, but campers always leave with a sense of personal accomplishment along with improved skills in teamwork and social interaction that can be used off the field.

Even though the bright sun and blue skies of summer have passed and we are moving toward a cold and snowy next few months, it’s not too early to start thinking about camp with the NYBA next year. Hofstra consistently ranks among the top baseball programs in the country, so it’s no wonder that players and parents can’t wait to come back. The first open house for our 2017 Summer Camp is on February 5, so mark your calendar and get ready for another great summer at Hofstra!

To learn more about baseball camp, Hofstra Summer Camps, or to read more testimonials and campers’ stories, check out the Hofstra Summer Camps and New York Baseball Academy web pages!