Terry Ryan – Camp Director, Educator and Sports Fan

Terry Ryan and the Hofstra Summer Camp team

Terry Ryan began his career as an elementary school teacher and a coach, and then he was an assistant principal. More than two decades later, he’s still working with children. He came to Hofstra University 19 years ago and he truly loves his job as camp director. “One of my biggest challenges was leaving the teaching profession with a wife and kids and jumping into the college world – it ended up being a great and successful choice,” he said. “I like the daily challenge of always being the best camp on Long Island – I am driven by competition!!”

He still teaches – now in the Precollegiate Saturday Classes program, giving students grades 9-12 an introduction into sports management. “It is a great way for young people to explore the field and decide whether it may be a course of study/career down the road,” Ryan said. “Sports are my passion and to lend my knowledge to young people is an inspiration.”

His other passion is his family: “I live every day working and trying my best to provide a decent life for my family (wife and four kids) – that is what keeps me going each day,” said Ryan.

Find out more about the Sports Management class: click here.

Discover all of Hofstra Summer Camp’s programs at hofstra.edu/camp