Hofstra Baseball Pitcher John Rooney

Baseball pitcher John Rooney

John Rooney shows his pitching prowess.

UPDATE ON HOFSTRA PITCHER JOHN ROONEY:

Wow! Two Hofstra University baseball players became professionals recently. The Dodgers selected Pitcher John Rooney in the 3rd round in the MLB Draft and the Mariners chose pitcher/outfielder Teddy Cillis in the 33rd round. We want to congratulate the players and their families on this outstanding achievement. Sign up for the New York Baseball Academy, located at Hofstra University, and have your athlete develop baseball skills taught by the same coaches that contributed to John and Teddy’s success! Click here for more information on the draft.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE:

Junior baseball pitcher John Rooney is having an awarding season. He was named the 2018 Colonial Athletic Association Pitcher of the Year; he’s a semifinalist for the Diamond Pitcher of the Year Award, given by the College Baseball Foundation; and a Golden Spikes Award semifinalists — which means he’s one of the top 25 Collegiate Baseball Players in the country.

Not bad for the Melrose, N.Y., native who admitted to a late start in baseball. He began playing t-ball around 7 or 8 years old, and continued through high school on the Hoosic Valley team under Coach George Brooks. “I never did these game showcases,” he said, though his team went to the state championships and won during his junior and senior years.

The Hofstra Baseball Years

Joining the Albany Twilight League the summer of his junior year changed everything. At a game in Farmingdale, a coach from Hofstra saw him. Three days later, Rooney had a partial scholarship to Hofstra. “They had to teach me a lot,” he admitted. “I was a thrower, not a pitcher.”

Rooney believes baseball gets more competitive each year and going to programs such as sports camp can help. “I was a late-bloomer,” he said. “I didn’t stretch out. I didn’t take the time to develop when I was younger.”

A two-sport athlete, he also enjoyed basketball while growing up. He committed to focusing on baseball at Hofstra so he could gain game knowledge and skill. “It takes a lot of time to get ready for the spring season,” he offered, including fall practice, winter workouts and spring training.

Hofstra baseball pitcher John Rooney

Pitcher John Rooney in action.

Pro ball is something he wants—and soon. “I’d like to start my career this spring.”

Read more about Rooney and baseball, HERE

See Hofstra Stats, HERE

Find out more about Hofstra Summer Camps NYBA program HERE